Council has been making hand tools since 1886, and they set the standard for quality and design. All Council axe heads are drop forged from high quality tool steel.
3.5 LB DAYTON PATTERN SINGLE BIT AXE WITH 36 INCH CURVED WOODEN HANDLE
Dayton pattern so named for the Dayton, Ohio area. A full-sized felling axe for general axe chores. Cutting edge is approximately 4.75 inch of overall length and the poll is square.
PRODUCT DETAILS AT GLANCE:
- Forged steel head
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ? inch back from the cutting edge
- Head coated with red enamel and cutting edges in clear lacquer to deter rust
- 36? curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2 inch of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.